Howard M. Turner, "Of Counsel"
Nigro, Westfall & Gryska is proud to add Howard as "Of Counsel" to our firm. Howard concentrates his practice in mechanics liens, construction and related transactional and litigation matters. Howard has successfully resolved hundreds of construction and other disputes for the past 40 years.
Howard is an author of many articles on mechanics liens including co-authoring three chapters in the Mechanics Liens for Illinois, considered the pre-eminent legal publication for mechanics lien lawyers and judges. Howard was chosen to serve on a select committee of the Chicago Bar Association to prepare the 2005 and 2006 amendments which were incorporated into the Mechanics Lien Act.
Howard is also a charter member of the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys. This group is invitation-only and limited to Illinois attorneys who write, teach and otherwise contribute to the development and understanding of construction law.
- AB University of Chicago 1956
- AB (Law) University of Chicago 1957
- JD University of Chicago 1959
- Supreme Court of Illinois May 1960
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois 1961
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1965
Professional Honors and Recognitions
- Preeminent AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law List for Legal Ability and Ethics
Professional Organizations and Activities
- Member-Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys (An invitation only group)
- Member-Chicago Bar Association
- Member Construction Law and Mechanics Lien Subcommittee.
- Member-Select Committee to prepare 2005 Amendments to the Mechanics Lien Act.-Principal draftsman of Section 11 of the revised statute.
- Member-Select Committee to prepare 2006-2007 revisions of Section 23 of the Mechanics Lien Act.
- Member-Nonbinding Arbitration Panel of the Mechanics Lien and Mortgage Foreclosure Section of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- Member Illinois State Bar Association
Teaching, Publications and Presentations
- Co-authored "Path to Perfection: Crafting Error-Free Illinois Mechanics Lien Claims", Illinois Bar Journal, April 2014.
- Co-authored "Perfecting a Mechanics Lien: What You Need to Do it Right", Illinois Bar Journal, May 2013
- Co-authored "New Legislation Gives Mechanics Lien Claimants Priority", DuPage County Bar Association Brief, May 2013
- Co-author, IICLE Mechanics Liens in Illinois 2010 Edition. Chapter 4 - Subcontractor's Lien: Its Nature and Enforcement; Chapter 9 - Trial Practice: Proof of Selected Issues; Chapter 10 - Trial Practice: Breach and Damages Chapter Co-author IICE Construction Law: Transactional Considerations Chapter 6, Negotiating Subcontracts 2010 Edition
- Author, "Construction Law Tips," SmithAmundsen Construction Update, April 1, 2010.
- Presenter, "It's the Economy: Cost-Effective Risk Management of Construction Financing and Its Problems," SmithAmundsen client seminar, Chicago, IL, January 19, 2010.
- Author, "Representing the 'Specialty Trade Contractor'- Pre Construction Issues," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education 2009."
- Author, "Subcontractor's Lien: Its Nature and Enforcement," Mechanics Liens in Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2007.
- Author, "Trial Practice: Breach and Damages,"Mechanics Liens in Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2007.
- Author, "Trial Practice: Proof of Selected Issues,"Mechanics Liens in Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2007.
- Presenter, "When Projects Go Bad in Illinois," Lorman and Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, September 2006.
- Presenter, "Subcontractor Issues," The Door and Hardware Institute of America, Great Lakes Chapter, March 2006. Author "How to be a Subcontractor and Not Go Broke" March, 2006.
- Author "The 2005 Amendments to the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act" The Illinois Bar Journal-December 2005.
- Presenter, "The Peculiarities of Construction Law Cases"- Commercial Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association October 2005
- Author, "Construction Damages,"Construction Law in Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2004.
- Author, "Formation of Contracts and Creation of Contractual and Quasi-Contractual Relationships,"Construction Law in Illinois, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2004.
- Presenter, Chicago Bar Association Annual Mechanics Lien program: on Proof of Damages 2002, 2003 and 2004.
- Author, "Extending Credit to Contractors, Sales and Financing Under the Revised UCC," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1975.
- Author, "Financing Equipment, Sales and Financing Under the Revised UCC," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1975.
- Adjunct Professor, John Marshall Law School, Real Estate LM program.
Contact Us Today!
Submit our online form and you will receive a response from one of our attorneys. If you need immediate assistance, please call (630) 682-9872.
"Nexgen Building Supply has used Nigro, Westfall & Gryska (NW&G) exclusively as our collection attorney over the past fifteen years. They have helped us strengthen our credit policies and procedures which has made us more efficient in our internal collection efforts. We use NW&G to help negotiate and monitor repayment plans with many of our customers. They have been very successful using their knowledge of the legal system to recover bad debts from uncooperative accounts. We have tremendous confidence in their efforts on behalf of our company."View All Testimonials